Thursday, January 19, 2006

Peter's Inn, Baltimore, Maryland

Peter's Inn
504 South Ann Street
Baltimore, Maryland
21231
410 675-7313

For a Google map, click here.

Please note that Peter's Inn is closed on Mondays.


For the second time in as many days, I had a terrific meal in Baltimore. This evening I met my friend, Mr. T and we went to Peter's Inn in the Fells Point district of Baltimore. Peter's Inn looks like just a little neighborhood bar, but it has always intrigued me because, according to the Zagat guide, it has one of the highest ratings for food in Baltimore.

In the past, I have been to Peter's Inn on the weekend, and it has been rather crowded, but tonight we walked in at about 7:30 and we were actually able to pick a table. Mr. T had a starter of "bar-b-que shrimp and cheese grits with mango-chipotle bar-b-que," which looked wonderful. I decided not to have a starter and began my meal with the fresh and nicely dressed house salad -- good crisp lettuce!

For my main course, I had "beet crusted day boat scallops with bacon beurre blanc, black lentils and diced roasted beets." This dish (about $21) is really tasty. Bacon complements scallops wonderfully. This dish is rather clever because there are so many different contrasting flavors that go really well together. Mr. T picked the Filet Mignon ($25), which he ordered very rare -- I have had that before, and it really is one of the better steaks I have had in Baltimore. I was also tempted by the tuna tartare, but I am sticking to a resolution to eat less and exercise more! All of the main courses include salad and a thick slice of garlic/parsley bread.

The wine list was mostly good and relatively interesting. I wondered whether we should drink a steen (Chenin Blanc) from South Africa, but, in the end we had a very good Oregon Pinot Noir ($35), whose name, I am afraid to say, I left in the restaurant!

When we asked about dessert, we were told rather abruptly that there was "Nothing!" I found that rather funny so we settled for a somewhat second-rate coffee.

This is a very good and friendly neighborhood restaurant. I have on occasion popped in for a drink at the bar and an appetizer, but it really is worth staying for the full dinner. Another great restaurant in Baltimore! (Peter's Inn does not take reservations.)

2 comments:

Superchou said...

it has been a while since i have been there, my ex used to take me there alot about 7-8 years ago or so and it is easily one of the best and most memorable meals i have had here. does she still make that incredible salad?

btw, thanks so much for your kind words :)

Moyey said...

The salad was very nice -- well dress lettuce leaf, but I don't remember it being incredible. Someone told me that it has changed hands in the last few years so perhaps the menu changed with it.

Moyey