Sunday, February 12, 2006

Singapore Airlines Business Class (Raffles) Lounge at London Heathrow (LHR)

  • I am a Premier Executive (Gold) card holder with United, and I have learned that the best lounge experience at Heathrow with this card is the Singapore Airlines lounge. I don't even bother with the Red Carpet Club when I travel on United.

    I used their shower facilities which were excellent, had a bowl of Carrot and Coriander soup, a glass of a good Pouilly Fume, and some good little sandwiches (fish, protein, or vegetarian). There are also plates of biscuits and cheese and tubs of ice cream. You can also get a variety of beers, including Tiger (Singaporean) and Boddingtons (Manchester, England). I also managed to use the Internet. All the big Sunday newspapers were there as well as a variety of magazines.


I have only three gripes with this lounge:

  1. They have stopped serving Champagne!
  2. They charge for wireless access to the Internet
  3. The computers need to be replaced. They are still running Windows 2000 and two of the four available computers don't work.


It is not the Virgin Clubhouse, but this is an excellent lounge for Star Alliance travelers. The alternative at Heathrow for United Premier Executives is the SAS lounge. There is a better selection of reading material and it is much larger, but the food and drink offerings are better at SQ. I have not tried the shower at SAS, but cannot believe it can be as good as SQ.

SQ also has a small but well ventilated room for smokers.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: