Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Why I don't fly British Airways any more

Don't get me wrong. I actually like flying British Airways, but their frequent flier plan has gone from being one of the best to one of the worst. It was one of the best because you can join as a household. This makes it very easy for members of the same household to pool their miles into a single account.

Here what's wrong. Nowadays, they give you only .25 miles per mile flown if you are flying on a discounted tickets (G, K, L, M, N, O, Q, R, S, V fares). United gives you 1 mile per mile flown whatever the category of fare. Plus, as Premier Executive, I get double miles -- eight times as many as if I were flying on BA.


BA's rules can be found on their website.

A good way of accumulating BA miles is to use the Diners Club credit card. You get a mile or every dollar you spend, and, during the summer months, they frequently give you a bonus. This used to be 100%, but recently it has been only 50%. I have flown many times on BA using points accumulated on my credit card, including a First Class trip to Tehran and back, which was wonderful!

No comments: