Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Worthy -- Sophie's Cuvee, 2003

I have been buying Worthy since 2001, and I think this is the best yet. Worthy is a "second wine" to Axios, which retails for around $120 a bottle. (Axios means worthy in Greek, the heritage of the Maryland-based owner of this winery.)

The 2003 Worthy is simply superb, and very good value at around $25. It is made of Cabernet Sauvignon (77%) with the rest being a blend of Merlot, Petit Verdot, and Cabernet Franc.

This wine has deep red berry flavors (black currants and black berries) and a rich enduring flavor with a very long finish. This is an extremely concentrated wine with a hint of vanilla smokiness. You can drink it now or cellar this wine for at least ten years. I am keeping a few bottles to see how it develops.

Readers in Maryland can buy this wine at the (recommended) Kings Contrivance liquor store in Columbia.

My recommendation of this wine is unusually enthusiastic.

I have tried Axios once, and I loved it!

3 comments:

theinebriantgrape said...

hey moyey - send me a bottle for easter!

Anonymous said...

I'm drinking a glass of Sophie's Cuvee 2003 as I write this, agree completely with your review. Nice vino, for sure. BTW, I live in Mt. Airy, Md.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kos, send me a bottle for Christmas