Thursday, June 08, 2006

Airline Wine Report : Virgin Atlantic Upper Class scores 82

Using the analysis I applied to Cathay Pacific First Class, I scored the wine list from Virgin's Upper Class 021 in February 2006. (This is the London to Washington flight.) I gave the wine list a score of 82.

As I said in my earlier post, this is really not an exact science, but it is pretty clear that Virgin spends much much less on its wine than Cathay Pacific, which score 280.

Click here to go the article that describes my criteria for scoring wines on airlines.

Of course, this does compare a Business Class product to a First Class one.

Also, I could not get a US price on Berry's White Burgundy so I used the price at Berry's shop in London.

Finally, remember that this scoring scheme is like Oscar Wilde's auctioneer, who knows "the price of everything and the value of nothing." Berry's does an extraordinarily good job of selecting wines, and I am sure that you could have a very enjoyable wine experience on this flight.

Here are the wines, and my best guess at what the retail price would be in the United States.

  • Champagne: Laurent Perrier Brut nv $30
  • Red Wine: Chateau Lucas, Lussac-St. Emilion, 2002 $19
  • White Wine: Berry's Own Selection White Burgundy, 2003 $13
  • Dessert: Graham's Port $20
  • Total Score: 82

No comments: