Sunday, April 09, 2006

Atwaters, The Perfect Soup -- well almost

Atwater's
518 E. Belvedere Avenue, Suite 203
Baltimore, MD 2121
410-464-9773
410-464-6229 FAX
For directions, click here

I have had soup from Atwater's in Belvedere Square a number of times, but, most of the time, it has been a hurried carry-out at lunch time. Today, I was with Iran and Hannah, and decided to check it out properly. I promised to lead them to the "best soup they had ever tasted!"

Even on a busy weekend, there were plenty of places to sit. Service was quick and efficient. On the menu, there were four choices of soup,


  • Spring Field Beef Barley (Bowl -- $6.85; Cup -- $4.00; Quart $13.70)
  • Roasted Pepper and Tomato (Bowl -- $6.85; Cup -- $4.00; Quart $13.70)
  • Mushroom and Leek Stew (Bowl -- $4.85; Cup -- $2.75; Quart $9.70)
  • Creamy Spinach (Bowl -- $4.45; Cup -- $2.50; Quart $8.90)
They also had three salads (asparagus, spinach, or field greens) priced at $4.50 for a "half," and $8.50 for a whole. There were also three sandwiches (Tavern Ham, Chicken Salad, Smoked Turkey.)

The menu seems to change daily.

My memories of the take-out that it was consistently excellent. Today, our choice of the Roasted Pepper and Tomato was good. The ingredients were fresh, and there were generous portions of crawfish and shrimp. We also had a taste of the Beef Barley and the Mushroom and Leek, and again they were just a little bit disappointing. Nothing really to complain about -- just not outstanding.

Despite our experience today, I recommend this place because I have had excellent soup here before. I guess today was simply not the day of my favorites in their selection.

I also deeply appreciate getting a nice big real bowl (porcelain), a real spoon (metal), and real bread.


I feel a little bad writing a less than whole-hearted review. None of us was ecstatic about today's lunch, but this place is usually exceptionally good. Give it a chance!

No comments: