Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Flight Report, United Airlines UA307 BWI-LAX,, Economy

United Airlines
Flight 307
Baltimore (BWI) to Los Angeles (LAX)
Depart: April 12 2006 at 6:40 PM (local time)
Arrive: April 12 2006 at 9:17 PM (local time)

I have taken this flight before, and I like the timing. You can do an honest day's work in Baltimore and be in a bed in California the same night.

The plane was a Boeing 757, which I don't like very much, but I managed to get seats 9A and 9B for myself and one of the young Moyeys. You may like to note that if you are traveling economy on a United 757, this is, in my opinion, by far the best seat on the plane. (The useful site, SeatGuru, does not completely agree, and for their opinion, click, here.) Apart from terrific leg room, you get to leave the plane before anyone else including the people in First Class.

The plane left and arrived on time. Although I usually find United attendants to be exceptionally helpful and friendly, the crew on this flight did their job, but that was it. They did not seem to be going out of their way to be helpful.

Food was available for purchase for $5.00. I had a tasteless Roasted Chicken Fajita Wrap, which they forgot to mention was wrapped in cardboard, but was described like this on the menu:

Marinated chicken breast and pepper-jack cheese, topped with a caremelized fajita-pepper mixture with roasted corn, surrounded by cilantro cream cheese on a tortilla wrap. Served with a bag of chips.

A further $5.00 bought me a a small bottle of Hayes Ranch Chardonnay, 2004 from the Livermore Valley. This wine is fine although I would never really buy it if I had any choice. If you are not sure what people mean when they talk about "overoaked Chardonnay," this is a good reason to try this wine. It is a classic example that leaves you wondering what the oak is trying to hide. I drank this wine out of my traveling Riedel glass.


Hannah asked the flight attendant to bring her a pair of socks! This obvious demonstration of lack of experience of flying economy (coach) in the post-9/11 era caused more amusement for me than for the the flight attendant, who was distinctly "not amused." Perhaps he had had a tough day!

No comments: